Legal Services Commission Application Form

Once the application form has been completed, it must be sent to the following address: If you accept legal aid, you agree to the terms of this document. If you do not wish to benefit from legal aid under these conditions, please inform us now. If you need help with a civil law issue, enter an address or city below to find an LSC-funded legal aid organization near you. If legal aid is granted, you must contribute to your legal costs. All successful applicants must contribute to their legal aid. The minimum contribution for an assistance grant is $70 for family law matters and $50 for all other matters, but it may be higher, depending on your finances. Under the Sixth Amendment, Americans are only provided with criminal legal assistance. LSC was founded to provide financial support to legal aid organizations that assist in civil cases. (a) You must notify us and your lawyer if you change your address. When you are released from prison, you will have to tell us and your lawyer where you will live. If we are unable to contact you, legal aid may be discontinued and your lawyer may stop working on your case. If you made a request under the Access to Information Act and did not pay a filing fee or you made a request under the IP Act that should have been duly filed under the Access to Information Act because it is a “mixed request for information”, We will contact you to request payment of the application fee before we begin processing the application.

(a) Your lawyer should keep you informed of the costs of your case, especially if a charge on your property may be covered. We will process your application as soon as we receive the completed form and proof of funds. It takes about 7-14 days. You can call us after this time if you haven`t heard anything. We will inform you in writing if you are granted legal aid. The letter will tell you who your lawyer is and ask you to contact them. It will also inform you of your contribution. If you are denied legal aid, the letter will tell you why and how you can appeal. We will keep your legal aid questions confidential except in the following circumstances: LEGAL AID IS NOT FREEThe various ways you are asked to pay money for your legal aid: In some cases, we generally do not provide legal aid. Often, this is because another means of help is available. We also do not pay for cases where we believe you can afford your own representation or where the chances of success are low.

(b) If there is any information your lawyer needs from us. You can also visit to find information about your legal issues and find free legal forms. If the Application is intended to access information that is solely your own personal data, it will be processed in accordance with the Information Privacy Protection Act 2009 (Intellectual Property Act). The same application form can be used for both applications. If you disagree with our decision on your application or with a legal aid condition, you can appeal. To appeal, write to us within fourteen (14) days of our letter and tell us why you think the decision is wrong. You don`t need the help of a lawyer to appeal. You can appeal yourself by simply writing us a letter. Of course, you can pay a lawyer to appeal on your behalf if you wish. We will write to you and inform you of the outcome of your appeal. (c) Your lawyer is obliged to provide us with all the information we need about your case when we request it.

If your lawyer thinks you are unlikely to win the case, he or she must let us know and legal aid may be discontinued. LSC fellows address the basic civilian needs of the poor and address issues of security, livelihoods and family stability. Most mutual legal assistance practices focus on family law, including domestic violence and child support and custody, as well as housing issues, including evictions and foreclosures. Divorce 101 is a DIY (childless) crash course – with all the details on paperwork, timing, helpful resources, and explaining legal terms. You should also check with the Commission des services juridiques` access to information coordinator to see if the information is available as part of an administrative authorization process. If the fees are fixed as payable, the Commission des services juridiques will provide you with an estimate before processing the application.